Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pork and squid, that’s the opposite of kosher!

Why?
Because Gene got me a new Spanish cookbook for Christmas; it is Jose Andres’ Made in Spain. It has some delicious recipes and some wonderful descriptions of Spain. Also because it was cold out and we needed something hearty to eat!

What?
I came across a very interesting recipe for pork meatballs with squid. It’s basically garlicky pork meatballs braised in tomato sauce with squid, potatoes,
cinnamon, thyme, and more garlic. Pork and squid sounded like a very odd pairing to me, but it was delicious.

I’ll admit, that once again, I didn’t read the entire recipe through before I started. I didn’t
catch the sofrito part. Andres’ sofrito is a kind of vegetably-tomato sauce; I made my own using canned chopped tomatoes cooked down with sautéed onions and paprika. But in a pinch, you can probably substitute a little decent quality, mild, but chunky, pasta sauce.

How much?
(This assumes you have the basics of little milk, a crust of bread, an egg, some flour and such.)


Ground pork - $3.49

Squid - $5.99

A potato $0.59

One head garlic - $0.69
Parsley - $0.99
Thyme - $0.99

Sofrito (est) - $3.50
Total - $16.24


The Recipe:
Pork Meatballs with Squid

3 comments:

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

Wow, this is interesting! I love Squid (I'm half Filino) but the combo is VERY interesting.

Do you cook squid in other ways? Because I have a recipe I can send you to try, it's a Filino classic and OH SO GOOD and very cheap.

I'm Jen, nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Nice work! This does sound like a really intriguing combination.

I just saw Jose Andres on Anthony Bordain's No Reservations DC show. He is a hoot! I'll have to check out the cookbook.

Jim Allen said...

Jen,
Thanks for you post. Please pass your recipe on to me at allenje@verizon.net. I really like squid. I've fried it (very decadent) and done it stuffed and baked. YUM!

JIM