Sunday, March 11, 2012

Muscato Sangria

I know it's only March, but with our near-nonexistent winter, I am thinking of summer already! Last summer, my partner made a fabulous sangria (several times) using muscato wine and summer fruit. If you haven't had it, a muscato wine is made with muscat grapes, which naturally have a sweet, orangey flavor, which make it an excellent base for sangria.

There's not real recipe here, just a bottle of muscato (don't spend a lot, your making sangria after all) dumped in a pitcher with slices of whatever fruit is in season. Right now oranges, lemons, and limes would make an over the to citrusy sangria. In a few weeks, strawberries will add a hit of spring to it. At high-summer, peaches, plums, and nectarines make the absolute best!!

My dirty, little sangria secret is adding a half cup (ok, a whole cup) of vodka to the to the pitcher (your the only one who knows its there. For a lighter drink, do 1/2&1/2 sangria and soda water over ice. My last tip is make it a day or two ahead so the fruit marinates and gives up its flavors. Enjoy!

Cook's Note: One of my favorite dessert wines, Essensia, is made with muscat grapes.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: